If you find yourself involved in an accident, don’t panic. Take a deep breath, make sure you are not hurt, and follow these steps on what to do in the event of a car accident:
1. Call the police. Make sure to report any injuries to you or anyone else.
2. Write down the other car’s make, model, and plate number. Get the driver’s name, address, and license number. Get the owner’s name, too. Arizona requires drivers to have an insurance identification card in the vehicle and it will provide most of this information.
3. Write down the names and addresses of any passengers and witnesses.
4. Do not admit to guilt, do not accept money from another driver and do not agree to forget about a minor accident.
5. Write down what happened. Include the time of day, weather conditions, hazards, road conditions and your driving speed. Make a note of damage to your car and the other vehicles.
6. When the police arrive, make sure to get the officer’s name and badge number. Ask how you can obtain a copy of the police report for your insurance claim.
7. If you blackout or lose consciousness during the accident, or feel any pain after the accident, seek immediate medical attention. Although you may feel fine shortly after the accident, do not be surprised if you begin to experience whiplash symptoms or back pain within the next 12 hours.
8. Call your insurance company as soon as possible.
9. Call the Law Office of Shiloh K. Hoggard, P.L.L.C., and schedule a free consultation to discuss your car accident. We can be reached at (928) 771-1400 (Prescott Valley) and (928) 649-3400 (Verde Valley).
The Law Office of Shiloh K. Hoggard, P.L.L.C., with offices in Prescott Valley and Cottonwood, wants to be your personal injury and car accident lawyer.